Club Management Association of Southern Africa (CMASA) is the representative body for the Recreation and Sports Club sector in South Africa. CMASA offers members access to information on international and local best practice material relating to the management of their clubs as well as seen as the preferred partner in education, training, resources and recruitment solutions for the club industry.
CMASA’s strength is heightened by the expertise of its elected Executive Committee and management team, who collectively have in excess of 150 years in club management.
Today’s club manager may be expected to manage a complex and sometimes large property of several hectares; maintain multiple buildings and facilities; provide sports and leisure services for members and visitors; manage a team of employees and contractors; promote the business to the local, regional, national and in many cases international communities and of course manage the club’s finances efficiently and prudently.
Whether club managers come from a business background or are developing their careers within the industry, the right education can provide each individual with the learning resources they need to do this job, often plugging gaps in their knowledge, so they can better understand the broad range of issues that affect the day-to-day management of a club in the ever-changing global environment.
- CMASA also undertakes valuable benchmarking surveys for the club industry, which allows clubs to assess their performance and set new goals to remain sustainable.
- CMASA advocates best practice and highest level of corporate governance, providing information and updates to our member clubs on their legal obligations, and ensuring expert advice and consultation is on hand, where need be.
- CMASA is committed to ongoing professional development for Management and Staff in the club sector and offers ongoing education programmes to suit all disciplines of employees. Business Management Institute (BMI) courses for CCM certification are presented each year, which form the fundamental instruction of key modules in club management, necessary to achieving the ‘CERTIFIED CLUB MANAGER’ designation.
- CMASA is a global affiliate partner of CMAA and as such we also provide the internationally recognised online Manager in Development Programme.
- Our Club Recruitment division is transforming the club industry, offering a full service of staff screening, interviews and background checks. Over the past few years, CMASA placed more than 100 top managerial positions at sports and recreation clubs in South Africa. CMASA has an offering that can specifically target new blood in the industry and its own transformation objectives.
A club’s vision and standard of excellence are the building blocks that shape a club’s overall strategy and performance. Many clubs are now taking a more business-like approach in formulating their Strategic Plan, and considering their vision and mission in all major decisions.